I have to say I didn’t get near as much on done on my goals this month as I had hoped. I will share my reasons why at the end of this post, but first, my report:
- Develop an 8 minute segment that will eventually be a part of a 30 minute stand-up magic show that willplay for up to about 100 people. Practice, rehearse and be able to perform it by the end of September. I didn’t get this done, I need to construct two gimmicks that will help with the tricks I won’t to do and I didn’t even do that. I believe for one trick I will use another more traditional method so I don’t have to construct a new gimmick.
- Write 5 blog posts. I didn’t do this but I did put a new blog post out each week and am finding plenty of things to post about.
- Add at least 3 “Bizarre Ritual” type magic effects to my repertoire and be ready to perform them for October. No I didn’t do this either but I still have time before Halloween.
- Go through the Piranha Marketing course and apply what I learn. I did do this and it is an extremely helpful course. This course inspired to make some new videos that I will be rolling out next month.
- Attend the Jon Acuff “Start” seminar on September 14th. I did this even though I had to get up at 4:30am to drive to Nashville to be there for the event. The best part about it was meeting all the other people who are working on their dreams and I am really glad I went.
- Finish reading book “Trust Me, I’m Lying” and also read “Scripting Magic” I made it about a two thirds of the way through “Scripting Magic” and didn’t even read any more of “Trust Me, I’m Lying”.
- Send out 10 press releases to reporters with local print media, of the 10 I send out, make a connection with at least 1 of the reporters that might be interested in magic news in my town. I didn’t even start on this but I was asked to make a television appearance.
- Add in 3 new close-up magic pieces for my restaurant repertoire No on this one two but the new effects I added in last month have really served me well. Incidentally the one trick for the script I published this month I decided I will not be using, neither the trick nor the script. I still think it’s a great trick but there’s some handling issues on the sleight of hand I am not yet comfortable with.
- If I don’t land the pending 2 new restaurant gigs this month, then make 10 sales calls to restaurants, if I do land the 2 gigs, focus more on goal numbers 1 and 8. I didn’t make any sales calls except to follow up with the 2 gigs that were up in the air. As it turns out I will be working at the late night bar some more but it will most likely be on a monthly or bi-monthly basis. As for the upscale casual place there is a small chance I might work there someday but I believe I am better off focusing my efforts elsewhere. I am going to try a new approach to getting a restaurant gig instead putting so much emphasis on cold calls.
- Continue to improve website No. I bought some new themes that I thought would really be good but it turned out I would have to totally rewrite the site. I ended up getting frustrated and went back to what I had previously.
There’s a lot of red here. There are two reasons why:
- The first half of this month I had at least three extra gigs that required some additional travel. All the driving left worn out a lot of weekends when I had free time to work on these.
- As much as I hate to admit it, my achilles heel is Netflix. I waste so much time watching movies. The good news is my current debit card expires today and I will not update my netflix account with the new one so my account will go on hold.
If I am going to achieve my longterm goals of being a professional magician, I am going to have to do a much better job than this.